For those of you at home with few craft materials here’s something you can make with an old cereal or Easter egg box and hopefully keep you entertained.
You will need:
- A box
- The white bag from inside a cereal box or tracing paper or baking paper
- Sellotape or glue
- Paper & Felt tips to decorate your theatre or paint, stickers, glitter, old comics – anything
- Dark paper or card
- Bamboo skewers/lolly sticks/Ker-plunk sticks/ garden wire – anything long & thin that you might have
- A torch or mobile phone with torch setting
- Stick the open flaps on the cereal box back together. Cut a window in each large side of the box so you can see right through, leaving approx 3 cm border all the way round
- Cut the cereal bag into two pieces the same size as the large side of the cereal box. Put the two pieces together and stick on the inside of one of the cereal box windows to make a screen. You can also use tracing/baking paper for this. This screen will be at the front of your theatre
- Cut a slot along the top edge and one of the side edges – this is where the puppets will enter
- Decorate the front of your theatre however you wish (see pic below)
- Make shadow puppets from card & sticks. Maybe choose characters from a favourite story, or your pets or family. Draw an outline onto dark coloured card/paper, cut out and attach a bamboo skewer/Ker-plunk stick/garden wire to the back of the puppet so that it sticks out of the top or side
- Set up your theatre in a dark room with your torch shining from behind. You might have to move your torch around until the light fills up the screen. Make sure it is propped securely & won’t roll around
- Pass your puppets through the top or side slots of your theatre and on with the show!!
Why not share your creations on our Facebook page post here!