The census takes place in March 2021 and we need every Manchester household to take part.
This once-in-a-decade survey helps everyone, from central government to councils and health authorities, plan and fund public services.
Because the results help decide where billions of pounds get spent on services like transport, education and health – it’s crucial that everyone in Manchester is counted. Otherwise, our city will miss out on funding for these life-saving and life-enhancing public services.
We think Manchester’s lost out in the past because not everyone has been included in ONS’ population estimates, probably by as many as 25,000 people. This affects our ability to get the funding we need for enough school
places, emergency services and health facilities for our residents. Everybody being counted this time will make sure we get the funding we deserve.
Charities and voluntary organisations also use census data as evidence to get funding. It helps businesses to understand their customers and, for example, decide where to open new shops. Plus, those doing research,
like university students and people looking into their family history, use census data.
Census 2021 will be the first run mainly online. Your household will soon get a census pack with a unique internet access code, so you can complete the survey on your computer, phone or tablet.
Please use it help your city get its fair share of funding for crucial services in the coming decade.
If you require a paper copy of the census, please call the national freephone helpline on 0800 141 2021.
Text relay service
To use the text relay service you can dial 18001 0800 141 2021.
If you need support to complete the form, please call the national freephone helpline on 0800 141 2021.
If you need additional support, you can text 07860 064 128 and one of our digital support team will ring you back.
If you require support in another language, you can call the free census language helpline on 0800 587 2021.
Our digital support hub also offer support calls in the following languages. Just text 07860 064 128 and one of our digital support team will ring you back. We offer support for speakers of Hindi, Punjabi, Bengali, German, Pashto, Afghani, Urdu, Arabic, Kurdish, Gujerati, Somali, Arabic, Polish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Swahili, and Kiswahili.
Help to complete the census in your local community
The Good Things Foundation is offering telephone support in our local census support centres. If you need help completing your form, you can call one the centres and book a session. You will also be able to access face
to face support from 12 April (subject to COVID restrictions being eased).
• Benchill Community Centre, Benchill Road, Wythenshaw. M22 8EJ. T: 07359 064308
• Simpson Memorial Hall, 361 Moston Lane, Manchester. M40 9NB. T: 07307 206013
• Barlow Moor Community Centre, 23 Merseyban Avenue, Chorlton. Manchester. M21 7NT. T: 0161 446 4804
• Wai Yin Society, 66-68 Swan Street, Manchester. M4 5JU. T: 0161 833 0377
• Sheung Lok Wellbeing Centre, Justin Close, Manchester. M13 9UB. T: 0161 513 4127
• Welcome Centre (Wai Yin), 18-32 Brentfield Avenue, Cheetham Hill, Manchester. M8 0TW. T: 0161 513 4126
• Manchester City College, 372-376 Dickenson Road, Manchester. M13 0WQ. T: 0161 224 4564
• Binoh Community Centre, Leicester Hall. 115 Leicester Road, Salford. M7 4GP. T: 0161 720 8585
Need access to the internet?
Free internet is available at your local library. Please call your local library to book a computer session in advance to ensure a computer is available. You will also be able to receive support to complete the census if booked
• Central Library – 0161 234 1983
• Abraham Moss Library – 0161 227 3777*
• Avenue Library – 0161 219 2393
• Beswick Library – 0161 245 7241
• Brooklands Library – 0161 245 7087*
• Chorlton Library – 0161 227 3700
• Didsbury Library – 0161 227 3755
• Gorton Library – 0161 227 3737
• Longsight Library – 0161 227 3706
• Newton Heath Library – 0161 234 4474
• North City Library – 0161 219 6442
• Withington Library – 0161 219 6442
• Wythenshawe Forum Library – 0161 227 3770